Every organization needs a good manager. The manager is a key role in all processes and organizational activities.
Product managers take care of the prosperity of the products. The project manager is in charge of the projects and controls their variables. The Human Resources Manager, for example, manages the entire HR department. And directors lead the whole organization for the better.
A good professional must also play the “role of interlocutor”, putting himself in the place of others. He has the necessary patience to listen to his interlocutors, while not remaining indifferent to their problems. He must be honest with them and always be ready to admit if he has made a mistake.
The key role of the manager
One of the key roles played by the competent manager is the role of coordinator. It refers to the operational planning, organization, and control of various internal processes in the department, as well as how its employees perform their duties. Reference: “Manager or Leader: What are the differences and similarities” by Louise Dupont (BVOP, 2021 https://bvop.org/journal/manager-vs-leader/)
To be a good coordinator, he must have planned to achieve the final results for which he has made strategic decisions, ie. he must also be good in his role as a strategist.
The manager as a leader
Leadership is one of the most significant roles that a manager plays. Leadership is about the ability to take risks, to inspire and convince people that a cause is right and the best. Reference: “Manager vs leader: similarities and differences”, https://pm.mba/posts/manager-vs-leader/
Leadership is associated with the achievement of goals so that followers perceive them as their own.
The question is often asked whether individuals can be trained to be leaders or are they just born?
The answer to this question has been sought for years by various psychologists. Scientists apply three approaches in determining effective leadership: an approach from the standpoint of personal qualities, behavioral and situational approach. Reference: “The place of the manager in the management process”, https://projectmanagement.cloudaccess.host/the-place-of-the-manager-in-the-management-process/
There are many definitions of leadership and some of them are:
The leader is the one who inspires people to do what he wants, has charisma, is competent, can communicate, etc.
Leadership can also be defined as the process by which a person influences the behavior of group members
Many psychologists are convinced that the leader and the manager are different types of people
Leadership is an essential element of effective management, which is an organization is carried out by its leaders. However, effective leaders are not always effective leaders at the same time.
The five most common mistakes made by managers in practice are:
Insufficient feedback from employees
Insufficient hearing or involvement of employees in discussions
Inability to use the right person for the task
The inability to set clear goals and guidelines for work
Inability to train and develop personnel in an appropriate manner
To receive feedback from his subordinates, the manager must be:
positive attitude towards people, to be communicative, mobilized, energetic, etc.
Thinking type manager
Thinking-type managerial roles – this includes managers who are competent in setting goals, in developing development strategies, in creating plans for structures and resources, with the help of which to implement strategies and achieve set goals.
Managerial role “Strategist” – setting goals, strategy, structure, and resources
Managerial role “Observer” – is determined by collecting, analyzing, and transmitting information
Managerial role “Innovator” – consists in the manager to have qualities such as proactivity, creative thinking, change management
Making type manager
Managing roles of “Making type” – they are competent in the management of people, in delegated rights, in giving feedback, operational planning, organization, and control in motivating employees through various means
Managerial role “Director” – consists in the leader to maintain and build a position of power, to give and receive feedback
Managerial role “Coordinator – is related to the operational planning, organization, and control by the manager
Managerial role “Motivator” – motivating employees through jobs, fair evaluation, and at the same time fair remuneration
Sensitive type manager
Managerial roles of “Sensitive type” – competent in mentoring employees, in their development, support, and improvement, etc.
Managerial role “Mentor” – is identified with understanding the feelings and behavior of employees, interpersonal communication, and their development.
Managerial role “Assistant” – building an atmosphere for work, decision-making, and conflict management Managerial role “Mediator” – negotiating and ensuring empathy among subordinates inside and outside the organization.
Managerial role “Navigator” – management of personal fitness, personal motivation, and personal stress.
It is inherent in the overall managerial behavior, as it concerns the competence of the manager himself, and hence all other resources and processes for which he is responsible.
- “Management of innovation in organizations and business”, https://www.worldforgemagazine.com/management-of-innovation-in-organizations-and-business/
- “Modern management in organizations”, https://mstsnl.net/modern-management-in-organizations/
- “Social and ethical responsibilities in management”, https://www.libraryofmu.org/social-and-ethical-responsibilities-in-management/
- “Fundamentals of management and classification of management functions”, https://www.libraryofmu.org/fundamentals-of-management/
- “Typical management structures”, https://agileprojectmanagers.blogspot.com/2021/07/typical-management-structures.html
- “History of management science and basic management schools”, https://projectmanagers.edublogs.org/2021/07/13/management-science-and-basic-management-schools/
- “Management and leadership theories and practices”, https://projectmanagement.wpdevcloud.com/management-and-leadership-theories-and-practices/
- “Management approaches in the organizations for managers”, https://medfd.org/management-approaches-in-the-organizations-for-managers/
- “Knowledge and skills of the manager”, https://projectmanagement.news.blog/2021/07/09/knowledge-and-skills-of-the-manager/
- “The Manager and the Leader as sources of motivation”, https://projectmanagement.freesite.host/the-manager-and-the-leader-as-sources-of-motivation/
- “Motivating the behavior of the manager”, https://agileprojectmanagement.home.blog/2021/07/10/motivating-the-behavior-of-the-manager/
- “Basic theories of leadership and management”, https://projectmanagement.jdevcloud.com/basic-theories-of-leadership-and-management/
- “Functional management structure in organizations”, https://wikipedia-lab.org/functional-management-structure-in-organizations/
- “A systematic approach in management”, https://securityinformationeventmanagement.com/systematic-approach-in-management/
- “Organizational structure: types and functions”, https://phron.org/organizational-structure-types-and-functions/
- “Organizational and management structures”, https://pgov.org/organizational-and-management-structures/
- “The profession of the manager: How to become one”, https://scrumtime.org/profession-of-the-manager/
- “Goal-based management”, https://mpmu.org/goal-based-management/
Methods and mechanisms of the manager
In conclusion, to fulfill exactly his professional role, the manager must choose such rules, methods, and mechanisms to make sure that when the company (organization) wins, all employees work in it to understand this – be it through payment or another type of incentive.
Such a relationship creates a certain interest with the staff, not only for the direct financial results but also for increasing the prosperity of the institution, etc.
Participation in management means the mental and emotional involvement of individuals in group situations, through which they are encouraged to actively contribute to achieving goals.
In today’s dynamic everyday life, there are many shortcomings in management and decision-making concerning the manager, but he must always be able to improve and retrain to meet the requirements of the constantly evolving modern economy.